Thursday 15 December 2011

In My Father's Eyes

       I didn't want this to become book review central, but when thinking of what to write about, it just so happened that my ideas grew from a book I've recently begun to read. The small group that I'm a part of decided to study the book "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan.  


       This book is all about challenging ourselves to live radically for God. However, it wasn't the challenge itself that caught my attention and provoked my thoughts. It was simply the first chapter that explores the wonder of God's creation. In it, Chan describes the incredible galaxies, intricate deigns of nature, and all the other amazing things that we don't even think twice about.

       This simple reflection on God's amazing talent - if you can call it that- made me wonder what sorts of labels He would take on here on earth. 

       The beautiful sunset, and scenery more than qualifies him as an artist. Nature itself creates such beautiful music that he would be, no doubt, a musician. Scientist, writer, gardener, teacher, doctor -  the list could go on forever. If God created everything, He could be anything, if He were to walk among us. 

       I'm a chronic doubter, about pretty much everything in life. I wouldn't say that I sell myself short of things, but I'm a doubter no less. Everyone doubts themselves at one time or another. Whether about their place in life, their talents, or their purpose, we all do it. When reading this chapter, and taking a moment to soak in the glory of God, I realized something that shattered my fears like glass on pavement. 

       I take after my Father. I may not be perfect at it, but I can write, like He did. I may not be the best-of-the-best, but I can create music, like He does. I may never achieve perfection, but I'm learning from the master Himself. 

       You see, there's a reason God created the world to be so diverse, and then placed millions of people on it.  Everyone has a talent, gift, and passion inside of them, that was placed there at the beginning of time. Every being on the earth possesses qualities that directly reflect those of their heavenly Father.  

       I don't know about you, but this was a sweet realization. The God of the universe "gets" me. He understands me. Inside and out. In every area of my life, He knows what's going on, because He created me, and every gift I've been given. Nothing can surprise Him, or catch Him off guard, because He's already been there, and done that. 

       God could not be a more proud parent, seeing His children pursue the talents that have been reflected from Him. I'm  just beginning my careers as a writer, teacher, counsellor, and probably a handful of other's that have yet to be discovered. And in His eyes, I'm doing just fine.  

       So the next time you find yourself doubting, or wondering what's coming next, why not talk to the Master? The best-of-the-best. The Creator. I can guarantee He has some great ideas. 

       Luke 11:9,10 "So I say to you; Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened." 


1 comment:

  1. This is Beautiful Emily! It's so easy to look at what we have done wrong, or at how much we can't do, instead of what we can. Remembering that God is proud of us and encourages us to continue is important. Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete